Welcome to Paint a Sunflower Field in Watercolor
In this course, we'll be painting a beautiful sunflower field in watercolour. Watercolour is the perfect medium that allows you to produce spontaneous and expressive paintings on the go.
We'll be using some special wet-in-wet techniques to slowly build details and softness. I'll go through my entire process in real-time so that you understand my mental processes as well as the exact colours and mixes that I'm using. It's easier than you think!
In this course you'll learn:
- How to paint a loose sunflower field and buildings in watercolour
- How to sketch and plan your painting in pencil before you start painting
- How and when to use wet-in-wet watercolour techniques to paint organic shapes, shadows, backgrounds, and small details
- How to paint flowers with minimal effort and expressive brushstrokes
- How to add an interesting background to create contrast and draw attention to the subject
- How to paint water using a variety of essential techniques
- How to layer effectively to add extra details
- How to combine layers to create depth naturally
- How to paint simple shadows and identify or choose a light source in your painting
So join me in this course! You'll see just how easy it is to paint this landscape in no time at all.
Your course project is to draw and paint your own sunflower field in watercolour! This can be the reference photo featured in this course or based on one of your own photographs.
You can also refer to the scanned drawing/painting template attached below which will allow you to trace the drawing if you choose. I recommend drawing each scene freehand. Drawing is an essential step in improving your painting skills. This provides you with an opportunity to compose and plan your painting. Once you've finished the drawing, use the watercolour steps and processes included in the course demonstrations to complete your painting.
Use any watercolour paints, pencil watercolour paper, and brushes you have available. I recommend:
- 0.5mm mechanical pencil
- Artist-grade watercolour paints - blue, yellow, and red
- 100% cotton watercolour paper or sketchbook
- Watercolour Brushes - mop brush and a variety of round brushes for detailing.
Review the course demonstration videos first. You can also download the tracing templates to transfer over your drawing if you wish.
Are you looking to sketch and paint another scene? Research some free reference photo websites, pick one of your own reference photos, or simply find an outdoor location where you can sit and paint. Using the steps and processes included in this course, create your own unique urban sketch.
Sharing Your Work:
Share your final painting and progress shots with the course by uploading them to www.facebook.com/groups/watercolourmentor. If you have any questions or need more tips, please let me know. I'm happy to help.