Hello and welcome. In this course, we'll be drawing and painting a coastal landscape from Copenhagen, Denmark. You'll learn how to draw in pen and also how to use a variety of wet-in-wet and wet-in-dry watercolor techniques. Planning your painting is important. We'll go through how to simplify, emphasize and omit areas in your reference photo to create a more interesting and unique composition.
In this scene, we will use wet-in-wet techniques to paint the colors and soft details in the first wash. This can be a challenge for beginners, but don’t worry, I'm going to show you how to time your brushstrokes to create soft, blended washes to imply light. You'll learn how to gain control, and layer effects to create a soft, atmospheric scene. It's easier than you think! Creating fine, sharp details are just as crucial, as it creates shadows, contrast, and interest. But understanding when to add them is crucial.
In this course you'll learn:
- How to sketch in pen
- How to paint simple paintings of any urban landscape in watercolor
- How to sketch and plan your landscape painting in pencil before you start painting
- How and when to use wet-in-wet watercolor techniques to paint clouds, skies, water
- How to add people into your landscapes in a natural and simple way
- How to paint water using a variety of essential techniques
- How to layer effectively to add extra details
- How to combine layers to create depth naturally
- How to paint simple shadows and identify or choose a light source in your painting
I'm excited to get started, so join me in this course - you'll be painting this beautiful scene of Copenhagen in no time at all.